Jackie Chan's Police Story & Police Story 2 (Eureka Classics) 2-Disc Blu Ray [Blu-ray]
Enhance your purchase
Two of Jackie Chan s most iconic films explode onto Blu-ray from incredible 4K restorations! Featuring some of the most dangerous stunts ever performed on camera, Police Story and Police Story 2 are a dazzling blend of gritty action cop drama and impeccably choreographed martial-arts sequences that revitalized the Hong Kong action genre and established Jackie Chan as a worldwide superstar.
Police Story considered by Jackie Chan himself to be his best film in terms of pure action, Police Story stars Chan as super cop Chan Ka-Kui, who goes up against a notorious crime lord in a series of escalating set-pieces that resulted in many of Jackie s stunt team being hospitalised.
Police Story 2 Demoted to traffic cop after the events of the first film, Chan Ka-Kui is reinstated to the detective unit when a deadly gang of explosive experts blow up a building and threaten to blow up more if their demands are not met. Featuring yet more bravura stunt work, and even more injuries to its cast and crew, Police Story 2 is to this day considered one of the best action films ever made.
Presented from 4K restorations and fully uncut, Eureka Classics is proud to present Jackie Chan s Police Story and Police Story 2 on Blu-ray in a 2-disc set.
BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:
- 1080p presentations of both films, sourced from immaculate 4K restorations including Police Story 2 in its full 2 hour version for the first time ever in the UK
- Original Cantonese mono audio track for Police Story
- Restored Cantonese 5.1 audio presentations for both films
- Optional English audio tracks
- Optional Mandarin audio tracks
- Optional English subtitles
- The Police Force version of the first film, originally re-edited for the US video market and featuring its own electronic score by Kevin Bassinson
- Police Story Deleted and extended scenes, including alternate opening and ending sequences
- Police Story 2 Outtakes
- Jackie Chan (40 mins) A documentary on Jackie Chan s early career from cult film documentary series, Son of the Incredibly Strange Film Show
- Archival Interview with Jackie Chan (20 mins)
- Interview with Benny Lai (15 mins)
- Jackie Chan stunts promotional trailer
"Chan seems to do everything he can think of to ingratiate himself with viewers. " Village Voice
"The likeable and graceful Chan directs, sings and performs jaw-dropping stunts. " Time Out
"Judged on its own merits, it (Police Story 2) outstrips just about every other action movie of the past fifteen years. " Film 4
- Aspect Ratio : 1.78:1
- Package Dimensions : 17 x 13.4 x 1.6 cm; 160 Grams
- Item Model Number : EKA70358
- Media Format : Blu-ray
- Subtitles: : English, English
- Language : English (Dolby Digital 2.0)
- Studio : Eureka Entertainment
- ASIN : B07T2H6T2R
- Number of discs : 2
- Customer Reviews:
Review this product
Top reviews from other countries
This Eureka release boasts two 4k restored original uncut prints of Police Story and Police story 2 and look absolutely wonderful. I watched Police Story enough on VHS back in the day to know almost every flaw in the print back to front, whether it was the slightly weird colour palette, grey blacks and noise/debris etc. The Eureka restoration is terrific. It's exceptionally clean, with really great naturalistic colours and very decent black levels. Possibly my only argument is that to my eye there appears to be some use of DNR that minimises grain, but it's not quite enough to the detriment of the detail.
Sound too is terrific, and even though I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to soundtracks, I have to say that having had various DVD incarnations of the film, the 5.1 mix was surprisingly good given the source. The fights were amazingly punchy and the general surround was used effectively if not extensively.
Police Story 2 is the full 2 hour version of the film (available for the for the first time ever in the UK) and in fact across both discs you have a truly unique set of cuts and soundtrack options:
- Police Story (100 mins) 1080p presentation sourced from the new 4K restoration
- Police Story: The Japanese Cut (105 mins – HD) Originally released exclusively to Japanese home video, this extended cut of the film was transferred to HD from a film print in 2012 and makes its UK debut here with its original Cantonese audio and English subtitles for the first time ever
- Police Story 2 (121 mins) – 1080p presentation of the extended version of the film, sourced from the new 4K restoration
- Police Story 2: The Original Hong Kong Version (101 mins - SD) – The original cut of Police Story 2, presented with it’s original Cantonese mono audio track and optional English subtitles
- Police Story 2: Original UK Version (90 mins - SD) – An alternate cut of the film created for the film’s UK VHS release, featuring a unique English dub track
Add to that an immense selection of extras, including outtakes, trailers, archive interviews and also, my most favourite: the late 80s Jonathon Ross documentary 'Son of the incredibly strange film show' which was one of the original and best features on Jackie's life and film career. One I taped back in the day and watched endlessly.
The set comes in two individual amaray cases here with reversible sleeves housed in a cardboard case with newly commissioned art. There's also a terrific collectors booklet with new writing on the film and a selection of rare archival material (some great old school VHS cover art in there too).
There's only really very minor gripes with the set. Firstly as you're probably aware from the one star reviews, there is an extremely negligible couple of sound dropouts in the 5.1 Cantonese mix in police story. It's akin to a dvd layer transition lasting about half a second at the 10 minute and 32 minute marks. This ONLY affects the 5.1 track and doesnt affect all sets. Eureka have been on this like lightning with a replacement disc program for anyone with an affected disc, so really, it's a total non-issue. My minor gripes are that the sleeves have the same art on both sides (with a different colour scheme) - would have been nice to have the iconic covers from any of the IPD video releases on the rear. And marginally more annoyingly is that despite the discs being authored into scenes, there is no scene selection on either the front menus or the pop-up menus. Note that f you're looking to grab this from overseas, unlike their Drunken master release, these are REGION B locked.
But these issues are really extremely pathetic against such a superlative release. Very excited that Eureka are stepping up to give Jackie's back catalogue some love, and once you've seen what they've achieved here, you, like me will undoubtedly be pre-ordering the rest.
Following some bits that I found very interesting (not a full summary of extras, only those that I think are outstanding).
Police Story 1:
- The alternative additional English dubbing included is very interesting (came from a dutch VHS release).
- Regular UK cut (100 min).
- The full Japanese Cut (105 min).
- The US 'Police Force Cut' (84 min).
- Alternative and deleted scenes.
Police Story 2:
- Extended Cut (121 min).
- The full Hong Kong Cut (101 min).
- Original UK Version (90 min).
- Jackie Chan - Son of the Incredible Strange Film Show (40 min).
Think there is no need at all to discuss the movies, therefore will refrain from making a movie review. 2 absolute brilliant Jackie Chan classics in an awesome quality taking into account their age. A gem for all Jackie Chan fans and everybody that wants to become one.
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 28 August 2018
Picture is amazing compared to the VHS and DVD
Sound is good.
I hope they release wheels on meals next , my lucky stars and the others like this.
Thanks to Eureka