Great approach of history from a very cultivated author. His collection should be available in any college and university.
Our Oriental Heritage: The Story of Civilization, Volume 1 Audible Audiobook – Unabridged
The first volume of Will Durant's Pulitzer Prize-winning series, Our Oriental Heritage: The Story of Civilization, Volume I chronicles the early history of Egypt, the Middle East, and Asia. In this masterful work, readers will encounter:
- Sumeria, birthplace of the first cities and written laws
- the Egyptians, who perfected monumental architecture, medicine, and mummification more than 3,500 years ago
- the Babylonians, who developed astronomy and physics, and planted the seeds of Western mythology
- the Judeans, who preserved their culture forever in the immortal books of the Old Testament
- the Persians, who ruled the largest empire in recorded history before Rome
- Indian philosophy, Chinese philosophers, and Japanese Samurais
©2013 Will Durant (P)2013 Blackstone Audio, Inc.
- Get this audiobook free then 1 credit each month, good for any title you like - yours to keep, even if you cancel
- Listen all you want to the Plus Catalogue—a selection of thousands of Audible Originals, audiobooks and podcasts, including exclusive series
- Exclusive member-only deals
- $16.45 a month after 30 days. Cancel anytime
Sold and delivered by Audible, an Amazon company
|Listening Length||50 hours and 17 minutes|
|Audible.com.au Release Date||22 October 2013|
|Publisher||Blackstone Audio, Inc.|
|Best Sellers Rank|| 9,201 in Audible Books & Originals (See Top 100 in Audible Books & Originals) |
94 in World History (Audible Books & Originals)
368 in World History (Books)
6,048 in Teen & Young Adult (Books)
4.6 out of 5
187 global ratings
Review this product
Top reviews from other countries
Nathalie Fremaux B
One of the best historianReviewed in the United Kingdom on 3 August 2021
Have just finished the first volume. It is an ...Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 17 February 2018
Have just finished the first volume . It is an interesting read. Some of his prejudices come across in the book but at the time he was writing this was quite normal . He is witty . I would certainly read them .
Masterful overview.Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 30 November 2015
Great history book by a great historian - for serious students of history. Not for those who watch the History Channel version of the past. This one's for the grown ups. Durant always writes history with a rare wit, insight and charm. Great understanding of human nature.
Brilliant.Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 28 April 2019
Yes much is outdated. But much of it is relevant. The insightful views of events by Mr Durant make it an enjoyable and informative read.
One person found this helpful